A KEY piece of Portland’s tourism infrastructure, the Anderson Point steps, is open to the public again after almost five years of being closed.
Two sections of steps and a platform at the bottom of the steps were reinstated by three local volunteers with the support of the Department of Sustainability and Environment.
The area had been closed since late 2007 due to public safety concerns caused by a landslip and the threat of further landslips in the area.
A DSE spokesperson said on Monday that the million-dollar-plus stabilisation works at the landslip area, which started early last year, were almost completed.
It has been confirmed the DSE will hold an official event next month to mark the completion of the stabilisation of works, along with the re-opening of the steps.
Rotary Club of Portland president Frank Farnsworth praised the efforts of the three volunteers who had worked over a period of several weeks to reinstate the portion of steps that had been earlier removed to ensure public safety.
The volunteers — Rotarians Don Errey and Martin Hayden, along with local resident Ken Baker — had reinstated two sections of the steps and the platform at the bottom end of the steps.
Those sections had been removed by the DSE contractor, Portland earthmoving firm Mibus Bros (Australia) Pty Ltd, during the stabilisation works.
Mr Farnsworth said the DSE had funded the reinstatement of the steps, and the volunteers did the work.
Read more in Wednesday’s edition of the Portland Observer.