PLANS for further job losses at Keppel Prince Engineering’s Darts Rd facility have been shelved.
Keppel Prince general manager Steve Garner broke the news to the workforce at meetings on Wednesday.
He said he had told the 100 employees at the site who are involved in the fabrication, wind tower manufacturing area and administration that there would be no more job losses.
“It is a great relief to the workforce because they have virtually been on hot coals for the past few months, not knowing if their jobs were safe or not,” he said.
Rumours had been circulating throughout Portland in the past few weeks that further job losses were imminent.
The company shed 50 employees in May and June this year through a combination of voluntary and forced redundancies.
“We have looked at the figures and we believe we can hold our existing workforce without making any redundancies until new work starts flowing through hopefully late September/October,” he said.
“It will be done through annual leave and other associated measures.
“At this stage, we have no new contracts, but we are putting in tenders and bids for as much work as we can.”
Read more in Friday’s edition of the Portland Observer.