THE shooting of a young man, the street brawl that followed and a supposed $16,000 drug debt have left their mark on the city of Portland, but police say Monday night’s events were an isolated incident.
Before 5.30pm Monday, 20-year-old Troy Hocking attended at Portland District Health’s accident and emergency department with a gunshot wound to the stomach after an incident in Willunga St (notBarkly St, as previously reported).
Mr Hocking died the following morning, after being airlifted to theRoyal Melbourne Hospital at 1am.
Shortly after the shooting, two groups of young men, armed with knives and bats, came to blows in Barkly St, after yelling abuse at each other for several minutes, witnesses say.
Portland police Sergeant Gavin Slade said the two incidents are related and people involved are assisting police with enquiries.
Sgt Slade said the police will do their utmost to ensure peoples’ safety and wellbeing, but stressed a repeat of Monday night is unlikely.
“We believe it’s an isolated incident between two groups of people and there is no cause for alarm,Portlandis not out of control,” Sgt Slade said.
“Barkly Stisn’t the ghetto ofPortlandor anything now… local police will assist people with any information or anybody seeking counselling.”
Read more in Friday’s Portland Observer.