AN early taste of summer weather has resulted in a decision to open the outdoor swimming pools at the Portland Leisure and Aquatic Centre two days earlier than expected. The centre’s operator, the Portland YMCA, made a decision late Wednesday to open the outdoor pools with the mercury expected to soar to 37 degrees in the city yesterday. The outdoor area will be open until 4pm today before the “official opening” for the summer season starts tomorrow. YMCA executive officer Anita Rank said the opening of the outdoor pools was extremely popular. “Early morning lap swimmers are one group of people that really look forward to this time of the year,” she said. The outdoor pools will be open Monday to Friday 6am to 8pm; Saturday 8am to 6pm; and Sunday 10am to 6pm.
A PORTLAND fisherman has been hit with $135,300 in fines and penalties for fisheries and criminal charged relating to rock lobster fishing. Roderick McDonald, 59, of Dougherties Rd was sentenced in the Warrnambool County Court last Friday after previously pleading guilty to recklessly dealing with the proceeds of crime, six counts of failing to comply with various fishing licence conditions and regulations and one charge of taking rock lobster in excess of permitted amount Co-accused Gary James Robinson, 36 of Killarney pleaded guilty to the same charges plus one count of making a false or misleading statement in term of reporting rock lobster taken or pots lifted. Regional Fisheries officer for west Victoria, Paul Millar told the Portland Observer Robinson operated the licence on behalf of McDonald. Fisheries officers seized 291 pots belonging to Mr McDonald between December 2010 and April 2011, despite being only licensed to hold 40 pots. McDonald and Robinson reportedly made $72,932 and $170,174 each from the illegal fishing. “Robinson was fishing out of Port Fairy, he was taking pots over and above the endorsed amount on his licence and he did so with the knowledge of McDonald,” Mr Millar said. Read more in Friday’s Portland Observer.
PORTLAND’S rebuilt IGA supermarket will be more customer-friendly and energy efficient than ever before, but the improvements are coming at a hefty cost. Set to re-open in January after April’s disastrous fire, Daly’s IGA was only insured for its replacement value. The upgrades have required “a significant re-investment” from owners Michael and Peter Daly, according to store manager Nathan Lovell. When the store reopens early next year, customers will notice a number of new features, many of which were suggested by IGA’s 700 or so local ‘friends’ on Facebook, he said. “We used Facebook to ask customers what products or lines they wanted, and we’ve been chasing up suppliers ever since,” Mr Lovell said. “It’s proved to be a great way of communicating with people who have loyally supported us.” Among the additions, he noted, would be a range of gluten-free products. New products for babies and their mums will also be offered for the first time. As well, Mr Lovell promised to add an express check-out lane dedicated to shoppers wanting to buy just a few items. When the old IGA was gutted by an early morning fire sparked by an electrical fault, estimates of the cost of rebuilding were just over $3 million. It’s understood that figure has blown out by a further $2 million, but some of that spending will result in energy efficiency and long-term cost savings for IGA. Read more in Friday’s Portland Observer.
MAYORS across the south-west will meet Telstra representatives in Warrnambool today seeking answers to the telecommunications disaster. As communication services trickle back into use, Glenelg Shire mayor Karen Stephens said the public is demanding reassurances this won’t happen again. “First of all we have to go right back to the beginning — to be left without emergency services is critical to the community and that’s the first question that has to be answered,” Cr Stephens said. “We have areas here in the Glenelg Shire that don’t have mobile reception and now they don’t have landlines, so what are they going to do with those people, and that’s Merino and that’s Digby and that’s out at Wando Vale and north of Casterton.” “We still don’t have email here in Casterton butBillMundy (Telstra spokesman), if you were in Melbourne and listening to what he was saying, you would think everything’s okay and as far as Melbourne is concerned, everything’s back online and that’s not true.” Glenelg Shire Council will also write to Member for Wannon Dan Tehan and Communication Minister Stephen Conroy after Cr Geoff White moved a motion in urgent business at Tuesday night’s council meeting. Cr White said the impact on small business needed to be addressed by the federal government.
Spectator-Observer Partnership Pty Ltd © 2014
Unauthorised reproduction is prohibited under the laws of
Australia and by international treaty.
Spec.com.au News Network
Refer to our helpful FAQ section for any problems you
might be experiencing.