PORTLAND businesses have been given three years to make compensation claims in relation to the Telstra outage.
A small group of business operators attended the Portland Arts Centre yesterday at 11am to hear from Telstra spokesman Bill Mundy, who encouraged business with substantial claims to take their time calculating the damage.
“You don’t have to worry about getting in before Christmas or before New Years or after New Years for that matter… we understand the impact it’s had on businesses,” Mr Mundy said.
So far 60 claims under $1000 have been made across the south-west and 30 have been processed, while one claim has been made for more than $1000.
Mr Mundy said small claims will take between 24 and 48 hours to process while claims of more than $1000 will take up to 15 business days.
One of the biggest concerns for businesses is trying to come up with a figure that can be substantiated.
Accommodation operator Peter Keem said many potential customers in the last month have just gone elsewhere.
Another accommodation operator said when their internet came back, they received 269 emails, most of which were requests for accommodation over the Christmas period but they’ve since made plans to visit other towns.
Read more in Friday’s Portland Observer.