VICROADS has rejected calls for a 50km/h speed limit to be introduced on thePrinces Hwy within the Heywood business district.
The existing 60km/h speed limit will be retained.
The rejection of the application was met with disappointment on Friday by two key parties involved in the community campaign for a 50km/h zone: Heywood resident Dallas Benbow and Promoting Heywood and District Committtee president Tom Ingram.
Both men said VicRoads had failed to understand the issue was not about speeding motorists or compliance.
Mr Benbow said it was about safety … “60km/h is too high, if you lower the speed by 10km/h, you give people a little more reaction time”.
Both men said a State Government review into speed limits, top be held early next year, appeared to be the only chance for change.
The decision to retain the existing speed limit was made by VicRoads regional director William Tieppo following the finalisation of an independent road safety audit in the town earlier this year.
Read more in Monday’s Portland Observer.