MORE than 1800 Portland landlines were unable to receive calls Tuesday night as Telstra continues to struggle with the fallout of last month’s exchange fire. The 1837 lines were down between 9.30 and 11.30pm due to re-parenting of lines from the Warrnambool exchange to the new South Melbourne exchange, where Portland’s landlines will now be based. Telstra south-west Victoriaarea manager Bill Mundy apologised for the dropout. “We’re trying to ensure these things don’t occur again as we work towards finishing the re-parenting of lines,” Mr Mundy said. Landlines were also down in Mortlake and 800 ADSL services were down in Port Fairy Wednesday due to ongoing works at the Warrnambool exchange. A skeleton crew of technicians will continue to work at the Warrnambool exchange during Christmas and the New Year. Mr Mundy said Telstra is in the process of installing new redundant pathways outside of Portland, which act as back-up lines in case the current service is disabled again. Read more in Friday’s Portland Observer.