A SMALL group of boat owners wanting to redevelop the small slipway for recreational users have had their hopes dashed by site owners thePortofPortland.
Public access to the slipway site will be blocked in the coming days because it poses health and safety risks port chief executive officer Jim Cooper said.
Sheds and toilets at the site will be removed after the access is blocked.
People currently leasing the site from the port will be given keys to access the site.
The group of boat owners, Portland Slipway Incorporated (PSI), is a not-for-profit group established in late 2011. It has been lobbying both thePortofPortlandand the State Government for the past 12 months to bring the small slipway back to working order for private and commercial use.
“At the moment the smaller boat owners are going to Port Fairy and the bigger boats are going to Port Mac (MacDonnell) to get their boats out of the water,” group chairman Bob Stone said.
The group presented the port with a draft proposal for upgrades late last year and were optimistic of making progress after meeting with Minister for Ports and Member for South-West Coast Denis Napthine four weeks ago.
Read more in Friday’s Portland Observer.