KEPPEL Prince Engineering is pinning its hopes of rejuvenating its ailing wind tower manufacturing section on an anti-dumping claim.
The claim in part alleges companies from China, South Korea and Vietnamare dumping towers on to the Australian market at between 35 and 40 per cent less than the cost of production.
Company general manager Steve Garner said yesterday the lodgement of the claim with the Australian Customs and Border Protection Service was “imminent”.
The claim is being made with two other companies – Bluescope Steel and Tasmanian-firm Crisp Bros., Heywards Engineering.
The anti-dumping claim started being prepared late last year when Keppel Prince and other tower manufacturers in Australia started losing tenders last year on major wind farm projects to imports from Asia.
Mr Garner said yesterday he understood the anti-dumping claim process to be fairly fast after a claim si lodged.
“Customs responds within 20 days as to if the claim will go further, if they determine to pursue the claim they present a report to the Federal Minister for Home Affairs Jason Clare,” he said.
“It will then be up to the minister to make a decision.”
Keppel Prince employs around 100 people in its wind tower manufacturing section, but work is expected to dry up around April because of no new work coming in.
Read more in Wednesday’s Portland Observer.