MONIVAE College students missed two hours of class on Tuesday, as a crew of 45 CFA firefighters extinguished a fire that started in a central building and caused up to $100,000 damage.
The 640 students and staff on premises were evacuated at about 9am, when smoke was seen by children studying in the library.
The fire burned through the roof of a study hall, completely destroying the ceiling and causing water damage to the carpets, but firefighters were able to contain it before it affected the library.
Principal Mark McGinnity said it would take about a week before students could use the library and several weeks before the study hall would be repaired.
Year 12 students will not be able to use the incident as an excuse not to study for their looming exams – fire fighters removed their lockers form the building so their timetables would not be affected for the rest of the day.
Full story in the Spectator on Thursday, March 21, 2013