LAKE Hamilton could be out of bounds for months due to the presence of a toxic blue green algae bloom.
An algae was detected on Wednesday morning and authorities warned residents to avoid all contact, including swimming, sail boarding, water skiing, fishing, rowing and testing water equipment.
Southern Grampians Shire Council environment health co-ordinator, Pauline Porter said the summer heat provided ideal conditions for algae and could prompt more blooms in the coming months.
“Toxins released by blue green algae can cause eye and skin irritations, gastroenteritis, dizziness, nausea and vomiting in humans,” Ms Porter said.
“In extreme cases it can be fatal.”
Full story in the Spectator on Saturday, January 18, 2014