DUCK hunting season has officially begun.
The season kicked off early last Saturday morning and will run through to June 9.
The Department of Environment and Primary Industries has praised hunters for their good behaviour at the season’s beginning and have reminded hunters to continue obeying the rules.
Game Victoria Director Simon Toop said about 15,000 of the state’s 25,000 had been expected to be active over the weekend.
Authorities issued just 10 infringement notices during the weekend, as well as five banning notices to protesters near Kerang.
“A high level of compliance as observed by more than 130 staff from the Department of Environment and Primary Industries, Parks Victoria and police operating today at major wetlands across Victoria,” Mr Toop said.
“The vast majority of hunters did the right thing, acting safely, responsibly and in accordance with the law.”
Full story in The Spectator on Saturday, March 22, 2014, or subscribe to our epaper at top of page.