AN update on the Mt Clay fire was delivered to more than 60 local residents at the Narrawong Mechanics Hall this morning.
Department of Primary Industries and Environment incident controller Mike Harper said the fire, which started on Tuesday, had burned more than 1500 hectares, of which only between 50 and 100 hectares were private property.
About 45 properties were under direct threat from the fire and about 20 families decided to evacuate on Tuesday afternoon and the early hours of Wednesday morning.
Mr Harper said there had been no reports of asset loss other than fencing and water, which was used to fight the fire.
The fire is not yet contained as wet and muddy terrain particularly on the western side of the fire was making it difficult to build containment lines. Mr Harper said this could take up to four days.
The cause of the fire is still being investigated but Mr Harper said a prescribed burn was lit in the area last week and it would be looked at as a possible cause.
Full reports and photos of the fire will be in Friday’s edition of the Portland Observer.